If you are in the process of obtaining your advanced degree, looking for an opportunity to enhance your skills in a dynamic work environment prior to graduation, and interested in a career in risk management, then Freddie Mac’s Quantitative Risk Management Internship is for you.
Our internship offers you an opportunity to make meaningful contributions to the company’s risk management objectives and provides exposure to a wide spectrum of risk disciplines that will allow you to build on the knowledge and quantitative skills you have acquired through your advanced studies. You will work with some of the brightest minds in the financial services industry and develop your knowledge of risk management, all while building valuable skills and making lifelong connections.
Upon successful completion of the three-month internship and your advanced degree, you may be extended an opportunity to join our Enterprise Graduate Risk Rotation program – a two-year analyst rotation program that allows you to work in different risk management areas such as Credit, Market and Model risk. Our analyst program is designed to help you build a broad skill set, develop a comprehensive foundation in risk management, and accelerate your career growth by gaining exposure to Freddie Mac’s enterprise-level risk management function.
Your Work Falls into Two Primary Categories:
As an intern, you will support short-term projects that contribute to division priorities, which may include one or more of the following activities:
- Evaluate and monitor the portfolio against established criteria and make recommendations for maintaining current level of risk or mitigating and reducing risks
- Develop, use and/or analyze quantitative models that assess the market, credit and/or operational risks of new and existing financial and mortgage products or portfolios
- Monitor and analyze the organization’s market risk exposure on a day-to-day and long-term basis for various financial products, monitoring trading limits and reviewing transactions over the established limits
- Develop, validate or evaluate model input, methodology, implementation and output of models or analytic applications
- Execute and document complex financial models
- Provide model use risk assessments based on findings
- Provide modeling and analytical assistance to a line of business or product area, functioning as day-to-day technical expert
- Evaluate and manage risks associated with the company’s models and/or model applications
- Perform model validation reviews, establishing performance thresholds, researching model approaches, or creating alternative models
Participation in the program will support your continued professional development through access to targeted training courses and exposure to senior management. You will gain knowledge of risk management concepts in the financial industry and an understanding of critical organizational business and risk management functions, all while enhancing your own competencies, by:
- Building critical leadership, business and analytical skills
- Creating your personal brand and growing your internal network
- Obtaining support and guidance from dedicated program managers, experienced rotational analysts and knowledgeable mentors
- Participating in organized community service events to complement your professional development with personal growth